ISO Services & Programming
The ISO administers the University's F-1, J-1, H-1B, O-1, and TN programs. Our staff acts as the official liaison with the U.S. Department of State, foreign and American consulates, the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), along with other organizations and government agencies. The ISO is responsible for the issuance of relevant documentation for UR-sponsored visa categories, petitioning USCIS for sponsored non-immigrant statuses, and advising on all immigration matters, including:
- Issuance of I-20 and DS-2019 forms, for F-1 and J-1 non-immigrant visa programs
- Petitions for H-1B, O-1 and TN categories
- Guidance on maintaining legal immigration status and accessing available benefits
- Mandatory SEVIS reporting and processing
- Employment authorizations and regulations
- Facilitation of US Social Security applications
- Travel advisories, including valid documentation for re-entry & Canadian visitor visas
- Spouse and dependent visa documentation
- Visa application and renewal procedures
- Extension or Change of immigration status
- Coordination of SEVIS immigration transfers
- Medical Evacuation and Repatriation insurance
- Verification letters of immigration status
- Routes to US Permanent Residency status
The ISO staff assists international students and scholars in adjusting to life at the University by providing information and referrals concerning:
- Cultural adjustment issues
- Legal rights and responsibilities
- Medical, financial, and other emergencies
- Personal, relationship, and family problems
- Support services for dependents
- US attorneys (immigration, civil, etc.)
- General information on life in the US, such as healthcare, insurance, taxes, etc.
Student & Scholar Advocacy
The ISO staff members serve as liaisons with University departments and Rochester community representatives to advocate for and address the needs of UR's international students and scholars. Outside of the University, the ISO helps this population to access local services, such as Social Security, NY Drivers Licenses, and area banks. Our staff also belongs to professional organizations, including NAFSA (The Association of International Educators).
Educational, Cultural, and Social Programming
The ISO hosts numerous programs each year to welcome new students and to promote cross-cultural understanding throughout the University community. Many activities are sponsored with various student and scholar groups and community organizations.
- International Student Orientation Program (ISOP), including introduction to the ISO, overview of immigration regulations, US culture and customs, understanding the American classroom, taxes and legal issues, and a welcome to campus and Rochester.
- Rochester Global Connections (RGC) events that encourage students to engage with the local community and one another through fun and varied cultural activities. Events include picnics, square dancing, a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, and much more.
- Workshops & Presentations on various topics such as immigration, employment, US taxes, Social Security Number application procedures, buying a car, etc.
- Staff development on cross-cultural communications for UR department representatives and others working with international populations.
- Dependent Orientation for our new spouses and children of F-1 and J-1 visitors.
- Trips & Social Programs, such as welcome party activities for new students, trips to Boston or Washington D.C., regular Dependent Tea Time, and more.
- English Conversation Group, offered free of charge to UR community members.