Tools Search Main Menu

How To Obtain An H-1B Visa Stamp In Your Passport

Travel Permissions and Required Documentation

H-1B temporary workers are permitted to enter the U.S. 10 days prior to the H-1B start date, but may not work until the H-1B start date. If you need to renew or apply for a new H-1B visa stamp, you should review the U.S. Department of State’s page to schedule an appointment at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy closest to your home, review required documentation for the H-1B visa application and complete an application for a nonimmigrant H-1B visa.

In order to complete the application, you should have the following with you:

  • Valid passport 
  • Complete copy of the H-1B petition (which was filed with USCIS to obtain the approved H-1B) 
  • The original H-1B approval notice (USCIS Form I-797) 
  • DS-160 
  • Copies of last two months' pay statements from the University of Rochester or other proof of payment as applicable 

Canadian citizens are not required to have a visa to enter the U.S.; instead, present the H-1B Approval Notice and a copy of H-1B petition at the border to obtain an I-94. Verify that the I-94 shows your status as H-1B.

H-4 Dependents

H-1B temporary workers may submit documentation at their visa consulate appointment for their spouse and children to accompany them to the U.S. on H-4 status.