Tools Search Main Menu

O-1 Eligibility and Coming to the US

This category is meant for individuals with extraordinary ability in the areas of science, art, education, business, or athletics. This is not a common status used to bring employees to the University of Rochester. O-1 petitions are coordinated through the ISO and prepared by an immigration attorney; the hiring department pays the legal and filing fees associated with the submission. 

Travel Permissions and Required Documentation

O-1 temporary workers may enter the US up to 10 days before the employment start date. 

  • Valid passport 
  • Complete copy of the O-1 petition (which was filed with USCIS to obtain the approved O-1) 
  • The original O-1 approval notice (USCIS form I-797) 
  • Valid I-94 card 
  • DS-160 
  • Valid O-1 visa stamp in the passport
    • Canadians are not required to have a visa to enter the US; instead, present the O-1 Approval Notice and copy of O-1 petition at the border to obtain an O-1 I-94 card.
  • Copies of last two months' pay statements from the University of Rochester, or other financial proof


O-3 Dependents

O-1 temporary workers may choose to bring their dependent spouse and children with them on O-3 status. The dependent status is based directly on the primary worker's valid status. There are important restrictions on study and work for O-3 dependents. For more general information, please visit our section for Dependent Spouses & Children. When traveling, O-3 dependents should have the following documents:

  • Valid passport
  • Valid O-3 visa stamp (excluding Canadian citizens)
  • Proof of dependent relationship (marriage or birth certificates)
  • Valid I-94 card
  • Copies of primary O-1 documents, if traveling alone (see above)


Additional Information & Resources