English Language Support
Like many international students, scholars, and visitors, English may not be your native language. This can result in considerable frustration and uncertainty when trying to communicate. You will find that many Americans are understanding of this challenge and willing to help you with your English. If you are interested in more in-depth training or practice or if English training is a required part of your academic studies at the University, there are a wide range of different English language programs in the Rochester area. The list below is not comprehensive, but should help you get started in finding the right resource to meet your needs.
English Classes & Conversation Groups
- ISO English Conversation Groups:
The group meets on Thursday mornings during the academic year. Enrollment is open at the beginning of each semester and all activities are FREE to UR community. Spaces are limited. If you're interested in signing up please e-mail email@example.com.
- English Conversation Skills Program
The Warner School of Education often partners with the ISO to offer a free English Conversation Skills (ECS) Program! Classes begin in the first few weeks of the semester and run for 10 weeks. There will be three available sections, a beginner level course and two practical conversation skills courses, so that you may choose one that best suits your schedule and language needs. The online reservation form and additional details about these courses will be announced in ISO Student News when applicable. There are limited spots available in each section, so don't delay in signing up! If you have any questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- University of Rochester CAS 085 Practical Writing and Conversational Strategies (Fall 2015 tuition was $625; future costs may vary)
- University of Rochester ESL Summer Intensive Program:
Intensive summer program and several course offerings during the academic year. Open to students (credit) and dependents (non-credit). Fees apply. (Email to Rebecca Allen, Instructor)
- Eastman School of Music ESL Program:
Intensive summer program and courses for ESM students. Fees may apply. (Email to Caterina Falli, Asst. Professor)
- English Language Center, Rochester Institute of Technology: Fees apply. (585) 475-6684
11-week programs offered throughout the year for various skill levels. Fees apply.
- Zuroski Consulting: (585) 271-7256
English language training and courses intercultural communication are offered for academic professionals and their families. Fees apply.
- Literacy Volunteers of Rochester: (585) 473-3030
Literacy Volunteers meet with students on an individual basis. FREE.
- ESOL Associates of Rochester: Evening and weekend classes. FREE.
- BOCES (Board of Cooperative Educational Services): (585) 383-2210
Annual registration fee of $25. Classes and transportation to Fairport, NY are FREE.
- Rush-Henrietta Central School District: (585) 359-7918
- City School District: (585) 262-8000