Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Meloria • Ever Better
Search Tools Main Menu

UR Insurance Ineligibility & Alternative Options

Most international students and scholars are eligible to participate in University of Rochester health insurance plans, through either the University Health Service or the Human Resources Benefits Office.  Enrollment is usually available to full-time students and employees, and if available it should be pursued, as it is often the most comprehensive and cost effective option.  However, not all academic programs and work positions at the University are able to provide insurance.  For personal eligibility information, please contact your department directly.

If you are ineligible for University health insurance coverage, you may be required to purchase health insurance on your own.  As a reminder, J-1 Exchange Visitors (both students and scholars) are responsible for having continuous health, medical evaucation, and repatriation insurance coverage for themselves and their dependents, meeting minimum J-1 insurance requirements, for the duration of their stay in the U.S., in order to maintain their immigration status. 

Alternative Options

Other insurance options include policies with the following organizations:

It is important to research and compare each policy carefully!  The least expensive plan option is usually NOT the best value and may not cover typical healthcare expenses while you are in the U.S.  You should ask questions and understand your policy before you purchase.