Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Meloria • Ever Better
Search Tools Main Menu

Current ISO Student News

Issue 3: October 1, 2015


Table of Contents

  1. Will You Complete Your Degree Requirements Soon?  (more)
  2. Workshop: Work After Graduation & OPT Applications  (more)
  3. Reminder: Submit Your GLACIER Documents  (more)
  4. Swipe Your ID When Riding UR Shuttles  (more)
  5. RGC Spotlight: Square Dance at the Barn - October 9th  (more)
  6. Campus Focus: Submit an Event for International Education Week!  (more)

Will You Complete Your Degree Requirements Soon?

If your answer is “yes,” or even “maybe,” now is the time to begin thinking about F-1 Optional Practical Training or J-1 Academic Training. Do not delay! Each individual has a different set of circumstances to consider when making such complicated immigration decisions, so please do not assume that what works for your friends will also be the best option for you. The ISO has scheduled an employment workshop to be held this month, which will offer more detailed information and instructions (see below).

If you are completing this term but do not plan to apply for F-1 or J-1 work permissions, please also check the program end date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019. If that date is listed beyond the time when you will actually finish, you will need to request that your program be shortened to update your SEVIS record using the Extend/Shorten Program Completion Date Change Form. Please report your departure to the ISO by also completing the Student Departure Form.



Workshop: Work After Graduation & OPT Application Procedures

Friday, October 23rd 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
107 Schlegel Hall, River Campus

If you are thinking about work options after graduation, we encourage you to attend this session to learn more about your eligibility and the application procedures for the necessary work permission. This workshop will focus on work authorizations available to graduating F-1 students, including Optional Practical Training and the transition to H1-B, extensions to OPT, unemployment, and travel. This workshop will also offer detailed guidance on how to apply for OPT. J-1 Academic Training will be covered only briefly, given our population size.

There are several important deadlines and considerations to keep in mind, such as:

  • OPT applications can take between 2 and 3 months before work permission is granted and you will not be allowed to pursue any employment until your application is approved.
  • Required documentation for travel outside the U.S. changes when your degree is completed. If you plan to travel in the coming months, you may need to submit your application materials with enough time to receive a decision before you leave the country.
  • If you plan to work in the U.S. for longer than your OPT or AT will allow, the decisions you make now about your completion date and requested employment dates can have significant impact on options available to you in the future. You may want to discuss your long-term plans with an advisor as well.

J-1 Students: You must apply for Academic Training before completing all degree requirements, or you will no longer be eligible for that benefit. We encourage you to meet with an advisor in the ISO by scheduling an appointment at your convenience (275-2866). We will review your options and discuss ways that will enable you to take advantage of the opportunities available to you.


Reminder: Submit Your GLACIER Documents!

Please verify that you have completed your GLACIER record accurately and have entered valid contact information.  For new students, please make sure that you have also sent the required forms and document copies as indicated on your GLACIER Tax Summary.  If you recently received your U.S. Social Security Card (SSN card), be sure to update your GLACIER record with the new number and send the forms to the Payroll Office.  Your record and tax benefits cannot be fully applied until those documents are on file in the Payroll Office.  The ISO or any other department at the University can provide an Inter-Campus Mail envelope to use when sending your documents to Payroll.  If you have questions when completing GLACIER, please contact


Swipe your ID when riding UR Shuttles

As of Monday, September 28th, riders boarding a University shuttle are required to swipe their University ID badges every time they board.  The Transportation and Parking Management department will be collecting ridership information for the fall semester.  It is critical that they have accurate data about shuttle usage to ensure passenger safety and future funding of the shuttle services. ISO works closely with this committee to advocate for the needs and experiences of our international populations, so this data is particularly useful!  You may direct any questions to or 275-5953.


RGC Spotlight: Square Dance at the Barn – October 9th

Square Dance at the Barn
Friday, October 9th, 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm
2201 Lehigh Station Road (Barn at Liberty Hill)
RGC will hold its annual Square Dance at the Barn at Liberty Hill, home of the RIT President! The dance is free to attend, and transportation will be available for a small fee. This event is always a great time, where you can learn traditional American folk dance! A professional square dance caller will call the dances and teach us the steps, and you don't need a partner. Remember to wear comfortable shoes and clothing. If you don't care to dance, you may simply come to socialize and have fun! Light refreshments will be served. Sign up will soon be available online.


Campus Focus: Submit an Event for International Education Week!

Celebrate the benefits of international education and cultural exchange, here at the University of Rochester and worldwide! International Education Week will officially be celebrated during the third week of November, 16 to 21, but there is more to do throughout the month, and the year!  Would you like the opportunity to share your culture with the broader campus population?  Did you have a great study abroad experience that you would like to tell others about?  Whatever ideas you may have, consider submitting them for an event!  The submission form is now available online:


Editor: Keri Grimes, International Student Advisor