Tools Search Main Menu

SEVIS Immigration Transfer Out of Rochester

If you plan to continue your degree or begin a new program at another US institution, you must Request an Immigration Transfer (PDF) of your F-1 or J-1 student record through SEVIS before beginning your new studies.

For immigration transfers made prior to completing your academic program at the University of Rochester (either by withdrawal or academic transfer), you must get approval from your academic dean. Some transfer restrictions may apply.

You are only eligible to transfer to another US institution if you have maintained valid F-1 or J-1 status at the University of Rochester. You must remain registered full-time, be pursuing authorized post-completion employment, or be within your allotted grace period until the date your SEVIS record is released to the new school. After this date, you must request a new I-20 or DS-2019 from your new school and begin studies there in the next available term.

You must be registered full-time at the new school within five months of the SEVIS release date or the I-20 completion date from the University of Rochester (whichever is earlier). After the release date has passed, you will not be able to use Rochester-based work permissions and the International Services Office (ISO) will no longer be able to access your immigration record.