Tools Search Main Menu

Visiting Canada

With our proximity to the Canadian border, many members of the University’s international population visit Canada at some point during their time in Rochester.

Before traveling to Canada, check whether a visitor visa is required for your entry, which depends on your citizenship. Generally, it is easiest to apply for visitor visas in your home country before arriving in Rochester.

In addition, you will need to have valid US documentation for your return, including an unexpired visa stamp or eligibility for Automatic Revalidation.

About Canadian Visas

The visitor visa to Canada can be issued for single- or multiple-entry. This does not refer to how often you can use the visa, but instead to the number of countries from which you can travel to Canada. 

In other words, if you will use the visa to go from the United States to Canada, you will need a single-entry visa. If you want flexibility to travel from the United States AND your home country or elsewhere, you will need a multiple-entry visa.

The visa remains valid for the dates issued, even if you have used it previously.

Applying for a Canadian Visa

If you need to apply for the Canadian visa within the United States, you may apply online. Be sure to plan ahead and check processing times for the visa for which you plan to apply. 

Citizens from 29 countries and one territory need to provide biometrics (fingerprints and photographs). If you are required to provide biometrics, you will receive a biometric instruction letter by mail or email after your application is received. You will have to visit your nearest Application Support Centre (ACS) to submit your biometrics. Note: The nearest ACS to the University of Rochester is in Buffalo, New York.

The visa application requires evidence of your activities at the University, such as fulltime enrollment or active employment. Obtain a copy of your University transcript or a letter from your department for the visa application.                                                                                                  

Fulltime students may also request an Enrollment Verification Letter from their University Registrar. For more information, visit your school’s registrar’s website: