Tools Search Main Menu

O-1 Extraordinary Ability Workers

This category is meant for individuals with extraordinary ability in the areas of science, art, education, business, or athletics. This is not a common status used to bring employees to the University.

O-1 petitions are coordinated through the International Services Office (ISO) and prepared by an immigration attorney; the hiring department pays the legal and filing fees associated with the submission.

To discuss a potential or current O-1 petition, please contact ISO Scholar Services with questions or to make an appointment.

O-1 Eligibility and Coming to the US

Travel Permissions and Required Documentation

O-1 temporary workers may enter the US up to 10 days before the employment start date. Please bring your:

  • Valid passport
  • Complete copy of the O-1 petition (which was filed with USCIS to obtain the approved O-1)
  • The original O-1 approval notice (USCIS form I-797)
  • Valid I-94 card
  • DS-160
  • Valid O-1 visa stamp in the passport (excluding Canadian citizens)
  • Copies of last two months' pay statements from the University of Rochester, or other financial proof

O-3 Dependents

O-1 temporary workers may bring their dependent spouse and children with them on O-3 status. The dependent status is based directly on the primary worker’s valid status. There are important restrictions on study and work for O-3 dependents. Visit our dependent spouses and children page to learn more.

When traveling, O-3 dependents should have the following documents:

  • Valid passport
  • Valid O-3 visa stamp (excluding Canadian citizens)
  • Proof of dependent relationship (marriage or birth certificates)
  • Valid I-94 card
  • Copies of primary O-1 documents, if traveling alone (see above)