Tools Search Main Menu

Studying in Non-University Sponsored Categories

Sponsored Students (Fulbright, AmidEast, LASPAU, etc.)

The International Services Office (ISO) welcomes you to the University of Rochester and invites you to participate in all our programs and services.

We will need some information about you to be prepared for your arrival. As soon as possible, please complete the New Student Intake Forms (which must first be initiated by your admitting department).

Please also complete immigration check-in via our client portal URcompass upon your arrival to campus.

We can assist you during your studies at the University, but you will need to be in touch directly with your sponsoring agency for travel issues, Social Security letters, extensions, employment authorizations, and other J-1 program needs.

Study in a Non-Student Category

There are certain US non-immigrant categories that allow for study, as long as you are otherwise maintaining your status. Examples include:

  • H-1B workers
  • J-2 and H-4 dependents
  • Individuals in E, G, or L categories (F-2 dependents have limited part-time permission to study)

However, if you will receive award payments or plan to work on campus, you need to determine whether you have the appropriate work authorization. To learn about your permissions, contact your visa sponsor or visit the US Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

Changing to a Student Category

If you are considering a change to F-1 or J-1 status, please contact our office to discuss your situation with an advisor. For instance, there may be benefits available under a student category that will allow you to take advantage of different opportunities at the University. There are associated requirements and timing issues that must be addressed as well.

Regardless of how far along you are in your program of study, you would be considered an incoming student who needs to process all of the necessary paperwork to obtain F-1 or J-1 status.