Tools Search Main Menu

Dependent Spouses & Children

Immediate family members (spouse and children under 21 years of age) of most international students or employees are eligible to apply for a visa and enter the United States as a dependent.

Dependent status and ability to remain in the country is completely based on the status and activities of the principal alien. Common dependent categories at the University include F-2, J-2, H-4, TD, and O-3.

Dependents of US Permanent Residents have separate eligibility specifications and regulations. There are no dependent categories for visitors, so every family member must apply for their own B-1/B-2 visa or waiver.

We help support dependents under University visa sponsorship, and have compiled information for them on:

Dependents should also review the following topics:

Dependent Travel

As a dependent, your stay in the United States is tied to the start and end dates and maintenance of valid status of your spouse or parent. If the principal alien ends their program or employment at the University and leaves the US, the dependent(s) must leave as well.

Similarly, if the principal alien leaves the country for an extended period of time (typically more than 4 weeks), any dependents are expected to accompany the principal while they are out of the country.

Visit the visa categories page for information on specific documentation and travel permissions for dependents.