Tools Search Main Menu

F-1 Students

Eligibility for the F-1 Student category is based on admission to a qualified institution and demonstrated ability to meet the financial expenses on your intended study. The University of Rochester is able to issue documentation for F-1 students attending Bachelor's, Masters, Doctoral, Certificate, and Special Visiting Student programs.


Travel Permissions & Required Documentation

Students attending a new program of study are permitted to enter the United States up to 30 days before the start date listed on the I-20, to allow for time to get settled at the school prior to the start of classes. This restriction does not apply to students with a SEVIS Category of Immigration Transfer or Change of Education Level who are already maintaining a valid SEVIS record. Once the program of study is complete, most F-1 students will receive a grace period for departure. F-1 travel documentation includes:

  • Passport, valid 6 months into the future
  • Original Form I-20, endorsed by the ISO each academic year
  • Valid F-1 visa stamp (excluding Canadian citizens)
  • Proof of financial support, as listed on the I-20
  • Admission letter or UR transcript showing full-time enrollment
  • I-901 SEVIS Fee receipt


F-2 Dependents

F-1 students may request F-2 documents for their spouse and/or children to accompany them to the United States. The dependent status is based directly on the primary student's valid status and academic progress. There are important restrictions on study and work for F-2 dependents. For more general information, please visit our section for Dependent Spouses & Children. When traveling, F-2 dependents should have the following documents:

  • Passport, valid 6 months into the future
  • Original F-2 I-20, signed by the F-1 student
  • Valid F-2 visa stamp (as needed)
  • Proof of dependent relationship (marriage or birth certificates)
  • Copies of primary F-1 documents, if traveling alone (see above)


Additional Information & Resources