Tools Search Main Menu

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Some UR international students and scholars will not qualify for an SSN and may need to apply for an ITIN instead. The ITIN stands in the place of an SSN as a US federal identification number and allows students to benefit from existing international tax treaties and, therefore, avoid having taxes withheld from their paycheck at the highest tax rate. The ITIN is also used when filing both a US Federal and NY State tax return.


ITIN Eligibility

The most common group of persons requiring an ITIN are students and scholars who have received a non-service based academic appointment. Examples of non-service appointments include UR income with no work requirement related to a non-service appointment (e.g., fellow, scholar, trainee). Payment of the funds is not dependent on work or service to the university performed by the recipient. The following HRMS service codes are non-service: 6000, 6001, 6002, 6003, 6100, 6101, 6102, 6103.

In the event that you need to apply for an ITIN, you can do this when you file your taxes via the Sprintax filing software. You can follow the prompts. Simply print all of your documentation and make an appointment with the IRS at 1-844-545-5640.  Bring your tax documents and ITIN application to the IRS located at 255 East Avenue.  You can take the orange busline.  The IRS is located across the street from the Little Theatre.

You will need:

  • Completed Form W-7
  • Original Passport & Student Visa
  • Signed I-20 (blue wet ink signature)
  • Original Tax Returns for which the ITIN is needed (if applying during tax season).   If you wish to apply outside of tax season, please see IRS list of exceptions.  The exceptions are located at the bottom of the link in the Exception Table.

 Remember the folowing:

You must call 1-844-545-5640 to make an appointment. 

The office is open Monday-Friday 8:30AM-12:00PM & 1:00PM-4:30PM (closed for lunch). 

Do not show up without an appointment. 

When you arrive for your appointment, your paperwork should be complete and in order.